An acquaintance asked me why I go through a whole bag of lemons almost every week. Here are some of the things I do with them.
1. Start your day with water and lemon for an instant healthy energizer.
2. Put a leftover piece of lemon in your garbage disposal to freshen it up.
3. Add a squeeze of lemon to the water when you are cooking rice. It keeps it from sticking and adds a small amount of flavor.
4. Natural highlights! Put a little lemon juice in your hair before you go out in the sun.
5. Dip half a lemon in salt and use to scrub brass or silver (and polish up your sink).
6. Clear out a phlegmy cold with half a lemon, some fresh ginger, honey and hot water.
7. Clean a wooden cutting board: sprinkle it with coarse salt and then rub down with the lemon and rinse.
8. Make fruits and veggies last longer. Squeeze a little lemon juice on greens and any fruit that’s been sliced to keep it from oxidizing.
9. Add a teaspoon of lemon zest to pretty much anything you bake. It’s a great “Mmm…what’s did you use in this?” ingredient.
10. Throw a slice in some Earl Grey tea mid-afternoon. The citrus plus the small amount of caffeine is great to perk you up but not leave you sleepless come bedtime.
11. Lemon Sugar body scrub: Equal parts raw sugar and jojoba or apricot kernel oil plus the zest of one lemon. Put it all in a empty jam jar and it makes a cute gift too.
12. Dry some lemon peel and add mint for homemade herbal tea.
13. Throw half a lemon in your dishwasher to freshen it and the dishes.
14. Use lemon juice to get ballpoint pen off your clothes. (Seems to happen to me as soon as I buy a new shirt.)
15. Skip the bleach. Soak white stuff in equal parts lemon juice and baking soda.
And of course, you can also make wonderful lemonade.
Are you looking for the perfect wholesome and gift to use as gifts for a business associates, family or friends? A quick visit to http://sunburstoranges.com can solve all of your fresh gift giving adventures. We sell only the finest selections and the freshest citrus you can buy.
180 South “E” Street
Porterville, CA 93257