Monday, January 12, 2015
Sunburst Oranges Knows The Power of Cara Cara
It’s true that oranges are good for you, and, yes, the vitamin C in oranges may help you recover from your next cold more quickly or easily. However, did you know there is an orange variety out there that can claim even more health attributes?
It’s called the Cara Cara and it should be your favorite healthy snack this winter.
Some have called the Cara Cara orange “The Power Orange” for good reason. Cara Cara oranges boast a pinkish-red, juicy flesh that sets them apart from other oranges. Bite into one and taste a unique blend of sweet with rose, blackberry and cherry notes that cannot be beat. If you thought oranges were out because of reflux or other issues, think again.
The Cara Cara orange has a lower acid content than traditional oranges. It also beats plain old navel oranges in the area of vitamins and minerals with more folate (B complex) and vitamins A and C.
So, how do you eat more The Power Oranges? Try some of these ways to enjoy Cara Caras adapted from Fruits and Veggies More Matters:
1. Right off the tree – Simply peel and eat.
2. Fruity pizza – Top a freshly toasted whole grain English muffin with low-fat cream cheese, grapes, strawberries and Cara Cara segments.
3. A vibrant salad – Add color and pizazz to any salad with the addition of Cara Caras. Try them tossed with greens, pecans, red onion and strawberries, topped with a poppy seed dressing.
4. Cara Cara frosty – Combine vanilla frozen yogurt, 100 percent orange juice and Cara Caras in a blender for a quick, kid-approved snack or dessert.
5. Cara Cara salsa – Combine chopped Cara Cara oranges, tomato, cilantro, green onion, walnuts and lime juice for dipping or as a topping for fish or chicken.
While you can get oranges year round in the grocery store, and even at many farmers markets, Winter is the peek season for California’s cara cara navel oranges, and many other citrus – like blood oranges, pomelos, mandarins, and oro blanco grapefruits. These brightly colored beauties are bursting with vitamin C just when the cooler and damp weather has us shut up indoors and more susceptible to getting sick. Just one Cara Cara orange provides 150% of the daily recommended value of vitamin C and 30% of vitamin A!
Because our bodies cannot store vitamin C, it is important for us to regularly consume it. Oranges are also an important source of fiber, especially when eaten whole. The cara cara orange is also a good source of folate and potassium, and a natural source of Lycopene, the disease-fighting antioxidant that may be helpful in preventing some cancers and protecting against cardiovascular disease. Lycopene, in fact, gives the fruit its dark, rich coloring.
If you are looking for the perfect gift for business associates, family or friends? A quick visit to http://sunburstoranges.com can solve all of your fresh gift giving adventures. We sell only the finest selections and the freshest citrus you can buy.
180 South “E” Street
Porterville, CA 93257